Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Shakedown 1979

I went to a lot of gigs in 1979, I seem to remember being out at least twice a week but as I've written before I haven't got a definitive list as it was a long time ago and I don't have all the ticket stubs any more. So here are a few more that I went to that I haven't blogged about already. 

The Jam at Salford University May 8th 1979

They were supported by The Records, a band I had seen twice in 1978 on the Be Stiff Tour. That's three times too many that I've seen them. 

The Pop Group at Manchester University May 19th 1979

Whilst I may no longer have the ticket for this gig, I at least have a momento. Over 20 years later whilst browsing in a second hand record shop in Greenwich I came across the 'Vibing Up The Senile World' EP by The Good Missionaries who were one of the support bands that night. It's not that great actually. 

UK Subs at Manchester University October 10th 1979

I think I've probably still got a badge from this one somewhere.

The Inmates at Manchester University October 20th 1979

The Specials at Manchester Apollo November 1st 1979

Not just The Specials, this was the 2-tone tour with Madness and The Selecter. It was as good as you'd expect it to be except for the power failure halfway through The Selecter's 'On My Radio'. The crowd sang on gamely after it all went quiet on stage but there are only so many times you can sing 'It's just the same old show on my radio' before you realise the irony and fatigue sets in.

Alberto Y Los Trios Paranoias at Manchester University Squat November 2nd 1979

Never Mind The Bullocks - A farce by CP Lee & John Dowie. If I could be bothered to go into the loft and dig out my University box, I could search out the programme for this. But why would I?

The Cure at Manchester University November 21st 1979

They're very big now but they weren't then. They were very good though.

XTC at Manchester University November 28th 1979

It was all about Nigel that night.

John Otway at Manchester University December 5th 1979

I've got the ticket but I don't really remember the gig except for Tony buying a 'Cor Baby That's Really Free' badge. I've seen him countless times since and always try to fit him in at Glastonbury festival.

The Revillos at Manchester University December 13th 1979

They weren't The Rezillos any more which I guess must have been a contractual thing because they didn't look or sound any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment